Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Update

This is a photo of another book that I have been working on. The actual book I've had in my possession for a very long time but I never touched it for fear of screwing it up, then I basically forgot about it and it wasn't until I bought a smaller one last fall and completed a rather pleasing little line that I went the big on (after I found it again). Actually the anxiety I had about making a mistake was pretty relevant at the time, but as my work has changed it has become easier. Even from that initial change about a year and half ago there has been a slight shift. I think this is common with all artists, at least ones that really painting for themselves, their work is always in evolution. I have been considering the idea of putting a book together that is charting the change in my painting over a year's time. Perhaps this blog could serve the same exact purpose.

My work now continues to be abstract, but at times less so and this is a result from my interest in graffiti and printmaking. The printmaking shift came as a result of me getting the materials to behave for me. Which really opes a lot fo doors. Also the amount of photographic work I've done, particularly with the Holga, Seagull and Fisheye. There is a strange sense of freedom working with these toy, print cameras. I don't worry about the composition of shots as much, I just point and click. Really I should be doing this with the digital as well as the phone.

There is a down side to my current working style, actually, it has been a down side to my work all my life. I don't have an intellectual theme, I just kind of go with what I like. Last Autumn when the Artists Who Teach was up, that was a big difference I noticed between myself and all the other artists, they all have themes, their work is about . . . (fill in the blank). Mine just comes from things I like to look at and make images about and it can vary quite greatly. Why is this? I kind of have an answer: It is because I don't care that much - ha ha. I was listening/watching The Story of India last week and in particular the section on the Buddha. He was far less of an righteous preacher than the religion leads us to believe. He basically just got along. Perhaps it is my detachment, which I didn't really learn fro Buddhism, it is just sort of my nature, I can be very detached, and I like it that way. And thereby my work is also detached, because I don't really care about anything enough to make art work about it. I like lines, I like patterns and designs and fashion magazine images and abstract expressionism and gold pens and books mad out of recycled art and still life drawing. And I like finding interesting things with my camera and taking photos of them, sometimes I want those photos to be well composed, sometimes I want to shoot them from the hip and appreciate the result. I also like Asthanga Yoga and Wing Chun. That is what my work is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment